We invite you to go on a bogshoe hike to get to unknown places and get a real taste of adventure in the Zvarde bog. This unique territory of more than 24,400 hectares was used by the Soviet army as a training ground for combat aviation. The history of the landfill began in 1951, when four collective farms were liquidated, roads were blocked and several hundred farms and estates were resettled. The movement of civilians at the Zvarde training ground only partially resumed in 1993.
As always, we will help you uncover the secrets of the swamps, and snowshoes will take you where it would otherwise be difficult or even impossible. It will be a great opportunity to try bogshoeing, walk along animal paths and maybe get acquainted with forest animals or collect last year’s cranberries, which are especially tasty now, yes, there are still cranberries in the spring.
The hike is suitable for any active participant who loves challenges, so you must be in good physical shape, and the recommended age for participants is 10-65 years. Age is not a hindrance if you are used to walking.
📌 RESERVATION OF A PLACE OF PARTICIPATION: write to [email protected]
(indicate the number of participants, shoe size and contact phone number)
For all questions call +371 20120101 (calls and WhatsApp)
Description of the hike
- Duration: 3 hours
- Difficulty: easy (experienced hikers), moderate (beginners)
- Distance length: in a swamp on bogshoes ~ 6.5 km, in total ~ 8 km
- Meeting point and time: at 11:30 at the ruins of the Zvarde church
- End of the event: around 15:00
- Participation fee for the hike: 20 euros; 10 euros (7-17 years old). Subscribe to the newsletter and get a 10% discount.
- Bring: Snacks and Drinking Water
- Clothing: hiking boots or rubber boots.
- Costs include:
- Preparation of the walking route
- Delivery and rental of bogshoes
- Years of experience, knowledge and support of guides
- Weather permitting, a photo gallery for memory
How to get to the meeting point?
What to see nearby?
“Officers’ hill” is an artificially high hill, from which the maneuvers of the troops were coordinated by the commanders. A cemetery chosen by the officers of the Soviet Army in 1953 as the most suitable target for training bombers. The same fate befell the neighboring church of Zvarde. Old windmill Zvarde.
What the Zvarde bog looks like:
In accordance with national restrictions, hikes are conducted in GREEN security mode:
- Adults must present an EU digital certificate of vaccination or illness;
- To attend events, foreign guests must present a digital certificate of the European Union about COVID-19. The validity of the certificates can be checked at https://covid19sertifikats.lv/verify.
- Children aged 12 years and older must present a certificate of vaccination, certificate of overdose or certificate of analysis or laboratory certificate of negative screening test;
- Children under 12 years old do not need a certificate, but a visit is possible only with an accompanying person who can present a valid certificate confirming the vaccination or illness;
- There should be no persons on the territory who are in self-isolation, home quarantine or isolation, or with signs of a respiratory illness.
- In places where crowds are possible, a physical distance of two meters between households should be maintained, if this is not possible, a face mask should be worn.
We organize individual group hikes and mass events. The maximum group size for private events can be 50-70 people, depending on the route chosen. For more detailed prices, see the PRICES section. Individual solutions are also possible.
Snowshoes are designed for shoes with a length of 19 – 34.5 cm (size ~ 30 – 47).