This is the farthest route and also one of the longest, so we’ll be counting on at least a 5-hour hike and 8-10 km to challenge our limits and await the sunset in the swamp. The landscape stands out for its spaciousness, where the swamp rises above the surroundings in the form of a small hill, not allowing you to see the forest on the opposite side. We will go up to see the largest bog lake in the Baltics – Ramatas Lielezers.
If there is a thaw, you may have to wade through ditches and fallen trees to get to the swamp, but this only gives the hike a real taste. If there are drawbacks, then warm winter boots are enough, otherwise you definitely need waterproof shoes so as not to get wet in front of the swamp. And, as always, a guide will help you uncover the secrets of the swamps, while snowshoes will take you where it would otherwise be difficult or even impossible.
Until September this will be the only way to get to the Saklaura bog, as the rest of the time the eagles and other birds cannot be disturbed.
The hike is intended for active participants who like long hikes and challenges, so they must be in good physical shape, and the recommended age for participants is 15-55 years.
📌 RESERVATION OF A PLACE OF PARTICIPATION: write to [email protected]
(indicate the number of participants, shoe size and contact phone number)
For all questions call +371 20120101 (also WhatsApp calls)
Description of the hike
- Duration: 5 hours
- Difficulty: medium (experienced hikers), difficult (beginners).
- Distance length: in the swamp ~ 8 km, total ~ 10 km
- Meeting point and time: 11:00 in Ramat at the parish office
- End of the event: around 17:00
- Participation fee for the hike: 20 euros; 10 euros (7-17 years old). Subscribe to the newsletter and get a 10% discount.
- Bring: Snacks and Drinking Water
- Clothing: winter boots, hiking boots, or warm rubber boots.
- Costs include:
- Preparation of the walking route
- Delivery and rental of snowshoes
- Years of experience, knowledge and support of guides
- Weather permitting, a photo gallery for memory
How to get to the meeting point?
By car: go to Ramata: the parking lot is located next to the Ramata store. Click on the link to open the coordinates of the destination in the navigation app if you are using waze or google maps, or using coordinates 57.950797, 25.005437.
What does the Saklaura bog look like in winter?
In accordance with national restrictions, hikes are conducted in GREEN security mode:
- Adults must present an EU digital certificate of vaccination or illness;
- To attend events, foreign guests must present a digital certificate of the European Union about COVID-19. The validity of the certificates can be checked at https://covid19sertifikats.lv/verify.
- Children aged 12 years and older must present a certificate of vaccination, certificate of overdose or certificate of analysis or laboratory certificate of negative screening test;
- Children under 12 years old do not need a certificate, but a visit is possible only with an accompanying person who can present a valid certificate confirming the vaccination or illness;
- There should be no persons on the territory who are in self-isolation, home quarantine or isolation, or with signs of a respiratory illness.
- In places where crowds are possible, a physical distance of two meters between households should be maintained, if this is not possible, a face mask should be worn.
We organize individual group hikes and mass events. The maximum group size for private events can be 50-70 people, depending on the route chosen. For more detailed prices, see the PRICES section. Individual solutions are also possible.
Snowshoes are designed for shoes with a length of 19 – 34.5 cm (size ~ 30 – 47).