It is hard to believe that a layer of peat six meters thick lies under your feet, and pines that have not reached human height have already stepped over a hundred-year milestone. The narrow-gauge railway Smiltene-Valmiera-Ainazi was laid through the swamp earlier, from which the railway embankment and a beautiful birch alley have been preserved. There are countless dark and deep lakes in the swamp, one of them is even in the shape of a heart. If you’re lucky, you might be able to hear birds, and if you look closely, you might see the first carnivorous plants sprouting. The route in nature is not marked and is not intended for walking without a guide.
As always, the guide will help you uncover the secrets of the swamps, whilebogshoes will take you to places where it would otherwise be difficult or even impossible. It will be a great opportunity to get acquainted with bogshoeing, overcome the fear of swamps in a comfortable and safe way, have a great time in nature and listen to exciting stories.
The hike is suitable for all participants, the recommended age of participants is 6-60 years old. Age is not a hindrance if you are used to walking.
📌 RESERVATION OF A PLACE OF PARTICIPATION: write to email@example.com
(indicate the number of participants, shoe size and contact phone number)
For all questions call +371 20120101 (calls and WhatsApp)
Description of the hike
- Duration: 3 hours
- Difficulty: easy (experienced hikers), moderate (beginners)
- Distance length: total ~ 5 km
- Meeting point and time: at 12:00 at the roundabout at the end of the Jaunpilk road
- End of the event: around 15:00
- Participation fee for the hike: 20 euros; 10 euros (7-17 years old). Subscribe to the newsletter and get a 10% discount.
- Bring: Snacks and Drinking Water
- Clothing: hiking boots or rubber boots
- Costs include:
- Preparation of the walking route
- Delivery and rental of snowshoes
- Years of experience, knowledge and support of guides
- Weather permitting, a photo gallery for memory
How to get to the meeting point?
Go to Pale and follow the signs for the Niedraju-Pilka bog trail. After driving onto the old railway embankment, drive to the first crossroads and turn right onto the newly built Jaunpilk road, continue driving until the roundabout.
What it looks like in the Niedraju-Pilka swamp:
What to see nearby?
After the hike, it is worth seeing the sacred objects of Liv sacrifices in Svetupe and its surroundings: boat-shaped stones, energy stones, and other miracles.
In accordance with national restrictions, hikes are conducted in GREEN security mode:
- Adults must present an EU digital certificate of vaccination or illness;
- To attend events, foreign guests must present a digital certificate of the European Union about COVID-19. The validity of the certificates can be checked at https://covid19sertifikats.lv/verify.
- Children aged 12 years and older must present a certificate of vaccination, certificate of overdose or certificate of analysis or laboratory certificate of negative screening test;
- Children under 12 years old do not need a certificate, but a visit is possible only with an accompanying person who can present a valid certificate confirming the vaccination or illness;
- There should be no persons on the territory who are in self-isolation, home quarantine or isolation, or with signs of a respiratory illness.
- In places where crowds are possible, a physical distance of two meters between households should be maintained, if this is not possible, a face mask should be worn.
We organize individual group hikes and mass events. The maximum group size for private events can be 50-70 people, depending on the route chosen. For more detailed prices, see the PRICES section. Individual solutions are also possible.
Snowshoes are designed for shoes with a length of 19 – 34.5 cm (size ~ 30 – 47).